How many people actually use a personal lubricant for women? We thought this was an especially intriguing question, so we recently commissioned TNS Infratest1 to find out the answer for us. The results were as follows: In the age group of 18 to 29 years, 36% use personal lubricants very often or occasionally. For those in the group of 30 to 39 years, 21.4% use personal lubricants very often or occasionally. In total, approximately 64% of all respondents place a value on having variety in their lovemaking. For a large number of the respondents, this includes using good lubricants and stimulating intimate sprays.
We believe that a lot more people ought to spice up their love life with a personal lubricant for women and wonder whether it’s perhaps because some don’t really know how to use them 😉 Read the following to find out how a good lubricant can be used to bring a bit more spice to your lovemaking. It’s worth it!
Why use a personal lubricant for women anyway?
Basically, many women do not really create enough moisture during sex. There are many reasons for this such as stress, pregnancy /childbirth or unbalanced hormone levels. But this article isn’t about that. It is much more important to know that a good lubricant can counteract any of these problems, allowing the issue of low moisture levels to fade into the background.
Water-based or silicone-based personal lubricants for women?
Before using a personal lubricant for women, you should first decide whether you want to use a water-based or silicone-based personal lubricant. Essentially, the difference between the two is that silicone molecules remain on the surface of the skin, whereas water is absorbed by the upper layer of the skin. This means that silicone-based personal lubricants have the advantage of a long-lasting lubricating effect. Here at pjur, we recommend using a silicone-based lubricant such as our pjur ORIGINAL for long-lasting fun. But in the end, the decision is up to you – or both of you – to make.
So let’s get on with it
- If you have never used a personal lubricant for women before, it’s a good idea to first try it out before having intercourse by applying a dab to your finger to see what it feels like. Or you can try it out on yourself first to figure out how much lubricant you need or what is most pleasant for you.
- When you use a good lubricant for the first time during sex, you should apply just a dab on the tip of your finger or in the palm of your hand. In most cases an amount about the size of a hazelnut will suffice. It should be used sparingly, especially at the beginning. Next, gently apply the personal lubricant onto you or your partner’s genitals using the tip of your finger or the palm of your hand. You can also simply massage the personal lubricant for women directly onto the genital area.
- By the way: a personal lubricant for women can feel a little cool at first, but that changes quickly as the lubricant takes on the temperature of your body. The most important thing is that it feels pleasant for you.
- In addition to the genital area, lubrication can also be used on your sex toys and for mutual massaging. For this, you will need to use a bit more of the lubricant. Personal lubricants for women offer a wide array of possibilities. Let your imaginations run wild!
- Be a little cautious when using sex toys made of silicone with silicone-based personal lubricants; both products should be of the same high quality. Our silicone-based lubricants have been tested by prominent toy manufacturers and found to be suitable. We use only the highest quality silicone that is intended for manufacturing hair and skin care products. As of yet, we do not know of a single case of any complications. pjur water-based lubricants are perfect for use in combination with any sex toy made of silicone. But if your sex toy is made of another material, feel free to use a silicone-based lubricant.
- You should also be careful when using a personal lubricant for women with condoms. Be sure to read the instructions for the personal lubricant carefully. Not every good lubricant is suitable for use with condoms. Our pjur personal lubricants come with the following instructions: “Compatible with latex condoms”. All of our lubricants have passed condom testing and are safe to use with latex condoms.
- In addition, personal lubricants for women can and should be used during anal sex. This particular genital area is lacking in natural moisture, a fact that is counteracted by the use of good lubricants. In this case, you should apply the personal lubricant directly onto the penis or dildo – not directly into the anus.
- If you have chosen a water-based personal lubricant, it may dry out after a period of time as it is absorbed by the skin. Keep the bottle handy, apply a fresh layer and keep on going 😉
- You can also use personal lubricants for women for a relaxing massage. This can be purely for relaxation, rather than for sexual purposes. Why not give each other a relaxing massage and see if it leads to more. For massages, you will need a generous amount of a good lubricant.
Perhaps you should take it slow at first to see what you both find enjoyable. Some like it very slippery while others want to feel a bit more friction. It doesn’t make sense to use a lot of personal lubricant, if you like to feel some friction. Deciding how much lubricant to use and for what reason is totally up to you and your personal desires!
We hope that more people can enjoy an exciting love life with good lubricants! Perhaps this article will inspire you to try out personal lubricants and help you to use them correctly.
 TNS Infratest is the most renowned institute of market, political and social research in Germany.