It’s something women will be particularly familiar with: you’re in a bar or club and you’ve barely touched your first drink before the bad pick-up lines start. It can be hard to know whether to be embarrassed and look for the nearest escape route or, just maybe, to give them a chance. But can chat-up lines actually work and, if so, which are the genuinely good chat-up lines that will actually go down well? pjur love has been on the hunt for them—plus, we take a look at a few that are just a big, fat no-no.
Chat-up lines to avoid like the plague
Unfortunately, there’s no shortage of clumsy chat-up lines that are just plain embarrassing. Here is just a selection of chat-up lines that belong firmly in the ‘don’t go there’ category:
- Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
- Have you got a fever? ’Cause you look hot.
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk past again?
- The colour of your eyes matches my bed sheets perfectly.
- If I said you had a nice body would you hold it against me?
- I lost my teddy bear. Will you sleep with me instead?
Unfortunately, we could go on for a long time with bad chat-up lines. But since this blog is meant to be about chat-up lines that actually work instead, we’ve put together a few chat-up lines below that may even go down quite well.
Chat-up lines that (can) go down well
If you really want to use a chat-up line, next time try one of these:
- Two questions: What are your favourite flowers? And what address should I send them to?
- Would you talk to me for a minute? I want to make my friends jealous because I’m talking to a beautiful woman / handsome man.
- What do you think of chat-up lines? — Stupid. — Good, me too. Nice to meet you.
- Hey, I like you. Who are you? Tell me about yourself.
What these chat-up lines all have in common is that they try to make the other person laugh or simply engage them in conversation and let them know you’re interested.
Even if we think these are good chat-up lines, there’s no guarantee they’ll help you find true love. There are usually lots of different factors at play when it comes to whether or not there’s a spark. In most cases, however, these chat-up lines will be a good start. And we’ve got a few more tips on how to flirt successfully next time.
How to flirt successfully
Obviously it’s always a gamble, as you don’t know the other person yet. Whilst some people might even find a cheesy chat-up line funny, with others it’s a better idea to charm them with a line that compliments them at the same time if you want to engage them in conversation. And of course, there are a few other factors that are also involved in deciding whether or not flirting will be a success.
When you’re flirting, it’s not just your opening line that’s important. It’s also about timing, for example, interpreting the other person’s body language correctly, and responding accordingly. That’s why we’ve come up with a list of a few things that will make you more likely to be successful when you’re flirting:
- Be spontaneous and don’t sound like someone who’s reciting a line they’ve memorised.
- Try to come across as confident. No-one will be interested if you seem unsure of yourself. Unfortunately, there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and arrogance usually doesn’t go down well when you’re flirting—or, in fact, generally.
- Be yourself. You shouldn’t put on an act to impress someone. If you can be natural when you’re flirting, you’ll always make a better impression than someone who is desperately trying to be somebody else.
- Body language can tell you a lot about the person you’re flirting with—such as whether or not they’re interested. If they got their arms crossed, for example, it usually means they’re feeling defensive. Not a good sign when you’re flirting. However, if the person you’re flirting with drinks when you drink or laughs with you, these are good signs that your flirting is working.
- Small talk is more than enough at the beginning. Don’t go for grandiose topics—like politics, for example.
- Ask open questions. Not only does it show you’re interested, but it also keeps the conversation flowing. Don’t make your questions too personal, though.
- You could pay them a compliment. But choose your compliments carefully, and don’t go over the top.
- Eye contact is very important when you are flirting. So maintain eye contact when you’re talking.
Flirting also has a lot to do with luck, but there are a few things you can do to make flirting successful. Follow our tips and maybe you’ll find Mr or Miss Right soon ♥