According to a survey of the British public almost half of the British population owns a sex toy to spice up their love lives. Little wonder, then, that the range of sex toys available is enormous. That’s also why it’s hardly surprising that many people don’t just have one sex toy but actually have several at home in their bedside cabinet. When you’re done using your sex toys, then what? If you want your erotic toys to last, it’s important to clean them appropriately. We reveal the important points to bear in mind.
Why you should never skip cleaning your sex toy
There are lots of reasons why you should always clean your sex toys after using them. First of all, it’s a fact sex toys are used on the most sensitive parts of the body. And anything that comes into contact with these areas should be clean – otherwise, you’re running the risk of getting an infection. What’s more, most erotic toys are actually inserted into the body. Which means you need to be extra careful, and every time you use your sex toys, they will have bodily fluids on them afterwards that should then be removed to make sure your toys are in tip-top condition and ready to go next time you want to use them.
How to clean your sex toys – the right way
Most people would probably tell you that a little bit of soap and water is all you need to clean your sex toys and it can certainly get rid of any big bits of dirt. Yet unfortunately, that’s not a very hygienic way of cleaning and bacteria can be left behind on your sex toys that multiply while they’re being stored. That’s why it’s a much better idea to use a specialist sex toy cleaner. Here at pjur, we have our pjur Toy Clean for cleaning sex toys. Simply spray it on your erotic toys for a clean that is guaranteed to be gentle yet hygienic. Just a few spritzes will be enough. Any excess can simply be wiped off with a cloth. Because our pjur Toy Clean is unperfumed and free from alcohol, it can even be used to clean materials that are sensitive to alcohol, such as latex, rubber, glass, silicone and leather – without your sex toys getting damaged. Our pjur Toy Clean is also dermatologically tested and has a neutral odour and taste.
Follow these steps to clean your erotic toys:
- Remove larger pieces of dirt with water and, if you like, a little soap.
- Wipe the sex toy down with a cloth.
- Then spray with two or three spritzes of pjur Toy Clean.
- Simply wipe off any excess of pjur Toy Clean with a cloth.
There are many different materials to choose from when it comes to sex toys: steel, glass, silicone, nylon, Pyrex, jelly, elastomer, wood and even cyberskin – a material that imitates human skin – are all materials that can be used to make sex toys. Some of these materials are more delicate than others. If your sex toy has grooves, for example, you need to clean it more thoroughly to get rid of all the residue. Sex toys made from steel, glass or silicone are also safe to wash in very hot water. Hot water should not be used on porous materials such as wood and elastomer, as it can have a detrimental effect on the material. Our sex toy cleaner is unperfumed and free from alcohol, which means it is safe to use on materials like these.
You should also keep the following tips in mind:
- Clean your erotic toys immediately after use. Otherwise, bacteria will only accumulate unnecessarily, which will then need to be removed.
- It can be a good idea to use a condom with your sex toy, especially if it is made from a porous material.
- High-quality sex toys last longer. So it’s better to spend a bit more money. That way you’ll get more out of them.
- If you have a battery-operated sex toy, take care when cleaning it to make sure no water gets into the electrical ports or the battery compartment.
- You should clean your sex toy each time you’ve finished using it. That way you’re guaranteed to be able to reach for it again straight away the next time you want it. And if you use your erotic toys both anally and vaginally, it’s especially vital to clean them after each use!
How to store your erotic toys properly
Once your sex toys are clean, you should also make sure you store them appropriately. There are a few rules to be followed when it comes to storage, too:
- After cleaning, make sure your erotic toys are dry before putting them away. Either simply wait until they are dry or dry them with a cloth.
- It is a good idea to put them in a bag or a container to store them to prevent them being damaged by dust, dirt or anything else. Sex toys are usually supplied with a little bag or something similar anyway. It’s best to keep these and use them to store your toys.
- Find somewhere dry and dark to keep your sex toys. The bathroom is not really a good idea, then. A drawer full of clothes is the perfect place to stash your sex toys away nicely.
- It can be a good idea to remove the batteries from your erotic toys before putting them away. Obviously you’ll have to put them back in again before you can get down to business. If that sounds like too much hassle, you’re better off leaving the batteries in. They can leak, however – and if they do, it’s better if they’re not inside your toy.
Incorporating erotic toys into your love life is much more hygienic if they’re clean – and much more fun, too. So follow our tips for cleaning and storage for more fun with your sex toys!