Something that would have been unthinkable at one time is now considered completely normal: sex toys are no longer a taboo subject. Quite the opposite. Increasing numbers of women are using dildos and small vibrators, and couples are incorporating toys into their sex life, too. The sex toy business is booming. In this article, we look at the different kinds of sex toys on offer and the reasons behind their rise in popularity.
Why sex toys are on the rise
Although a few years ago sex toys were still seen as depraved and belonging to a certain line of work, these days they have become socially acceptable. Now, there are even sex toy parties, and women compare notes about the latest sex toys in their collection. The hype surrounding the erotic film ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ has played a part in this and also the fact that women these days are no longer ashamed about satisfying themselves. On the contrary – modern, self-assured women are open about their sexuality, and this includes the fact that there doesn’t necessarily need to be a man involved for them to be satisfied sexually. That said, couples are also incorporating sex toys into their lovemaking more and more. Particularly couples in long-term relationships are using sex toys to spice up their love lives, helping them to explore new sexual experiences together. But what are the different kinds of sex toys available?
What kinds of sex toys are on offer?
Dildos – what exactly are they?
Dildos are modelled on – and shaped like – a penis. Unlike vibrators, dildos do not use vibration for stimulation. Stimulation comes from the size and shape of the dildo alone. They come in a range of different materials – usually silicone, glass or stainless steel – and in two basic designs:
- The classic dildo: Classic dildos come in a variety of lengths, girths, textures and materials, and it is these that provide stimulation. Dildos are particularly easy to use, making them ideal for beginners.
- Double-ended dildos: Double-ended dildos have two insertable ends, making them a particularly flexible sex toy. They are suitable for both vaginal and anal use and can also be used to stimulate the G-spot.
As mentioned, dildos come in a variety of different materials. Glass dildos, for example, can be heated up very quickly, and the material is also particularly hygienic. Besides glass, dildos are also available in silicone, stainless steel, wood and even natural rubber.
What vibrators are there?
As the name suggests, vibrators vibrate. They come in countless different variations, and – crucially –with different vibration strengths and rhythms. The vibrations stimulate the clitoris or the vagina, and some vibrators can be used for both clitoral and vaginal stimulation. In general, the following types of vibrators are available:
- The classic vibrator: This has a classic phallic shape and is perhaps a good starting point for women who are new to vibrators. The various vibration strengths and programs that these vibrators offer are useful to help women to work out what they like, whilst the materials used to make vibrators can vary, too. Possible materials include silicone and plastic.
- Rabbit vibrators: Rabbit vibrators can be used to achieve simultaneous vaginal and clitoral stimulation. In most models, the additional clitoral stimulator can be controlled separately. Particularly for women who usually need clitoral stimulation to climax, a rabbit vibrator is the right choice.
- G-spot vibrators: These models are specifically designed to stimulate a woman’s G-spot. To achieve this, the tip of the shaft is curved. This can stimulate the G-spot with pinpoint accuracy, resulting in vaginal orgasms.
- Clitoral vibrators: Clitoral vibrators should only be used for clitoral, and therefore external, stimulation. They usually have an ergonomic shape, sculpted to hug the contours of the pubic mound perfectly. Whether you use it on its own or during sex, the choice is yours.
- Small vibrators: Particularly handy and designed for women who like to take their sex toys with them sometimes – small vibrators. They can be used for both internal and external stimulation, and the vibration they produce are just as strong as classic vibrators. They come in a variety of different shapes and colours.
Another kind of sex toy is love balls. Although they are not used during sex or for masturbation, they can help to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. By wearing them internally for a certain period of time, women can train their pelvic floor. This helps to improve the sensations during sex – both for women and for men, because a well-trained pelvic floor can promote more intense sensations during sex. Love balls come in different weights, with lighter love balls being more suitable for beginners and heavier love balls recommended for more experienced users. Most models feature one or two balls, with a retrieval string to help you remove them again safely.
Besides the toys already discussed, there are also anal toys and cock rings, which are also used for stimulation. The range of sex toys on offer is vast!
Use a personal lubricant together with a sex toy
To enhance your sexual wellbeing you should use a personal lubricant when using a sex toy. A personal lubricant can provide extra long-lasting lubrication and therefore leads to even more enjoyment. But the problem with conventional personal lubricants is that they often drip and it doesn’t stay where you put it. The pjur Toy Lube with its creamy consistency stays where it is applied and can be portioned on the sex toy with precision. It provides an extra long-lasting glideability and is perfect for use with erotic accessories and toys.
Cleaning your sex toys
Sex toys should always be cleaned after use. It is important to make sure you use a cleaner that reduces bacteria, germs and fungi. Hygienic and gentle cleaning is especially important depending on the material. Sex toy cleaners should also be free from any alcohol and perfumes. The pjur Toy Clean is dermatologically tested, alcohol- and perfume-free and is suitable for the hygienic cleansing of all sex toys.
The choice, therefore, is enormous, and whether you prefer vibrators, dildos or a different kind of sex toy will be entirely down to personal choice. Try it for yourself 😉