Sex toys these days have come a long way since the days of dildos that were designed to closely resemble a man’s penis. Instead, modern sex toys are colourful, stylish and anything but taboo. They come in so many different variations that it can be hard to keep track. But help is at hand – here at pjur love we know what’s what. In this blog post, we give you the low-down on a range of different sex toys out there on the market and reveal who they’re for and how to use them.
Sex toys for women
These are battery-operated and are intended to help stimulate a woman. They usually have different vibration speeds and although they’re modelled on the male penis, they’re not as obviously penis-shaped as dildos are. Vibrators come in a wide range of different styles:
- Clitoral vibrators: These are intended to stimulate the clitoris specifically. As a result, their shape is quite unlike that of conventional vibrators. They have several settings that you can adjust yourself. Since the clitoris is particularly sensitive to pulses and vibrations, most women find clitoral vibrators provide guaranteed orgasms.
- G-spot vibrators: As the name suggests, G-spot vibrators are designed to stimulate a woman’s G-spot. They achieve this thanks to a gentle curve in the tip of the vibrator, making it easier to reach the part of the vagina that is said to produce particularly strong pleasurable sensations. Since many women find it difficult to have a vaginal orgasm, G-spot vibrators are a good way to change that.
- Rabbit vibrators: The aim of a rabbit vibrator is to stimulate the vagina and the clitoris simultaneously. To do this, these vibrators also have a clitoral stimulator. So the idea is that, as well as having a vaginal orgasm, women should also have a clitoral orgasm.
- Mini vibrators: This small version of a classic vibrator will fit in your handbag and is designed to help stimulate a woman vaginally. Mini vibrators are usually less than 10 cm long and have a diameter of 2 to 4 cm.
Dildos are probably the oldest of all the erotic toys, as people have been recreating penises in wood and stone since the dawn of time. Today, dildos are still modelled on the male sex organ and, unlike vibrators, don’t need batteries.
Vibrating eggs are also used by many women to stimulate the clitoris. However, they can also be used all around the entrance to the vagina or inserted either vaginally or anally. They’re just a little larger in size than a tampon.
Kegel balls are not really sex toys in the true sense of the word. These are balls – usually two or more, connected by a cord – that are inserted into the vagina. By inserting and wearing them in the vagina, not only should they help strengthen the pelvic floor but they should also help women enjoy more intense orgasms. Kegel balls come in a wide range of different materials, weights and sizes. While you’re wearing them, every movement you make will stimulate your vagina.
Sex toys for men
Prostate vibrators: Prostate vibrators are inserted anally to stimulate the prostate. The aim is to find the prostate, which is located beneath the bladder. Prostate vibrators therefore have a slightly curved tip, which should be pointed towards the stomach after insertion to increase the possibility of stimulating the prostate.
Masturbators: These are to men what vibrators are to women. They are modelled on a woman’s vagina and are designed for male stimulation. They are also frequently used for practise by men who have problems with premature ejaculation.
Cock rings: A cock ring is a ring that is placed around the penis, usually down at the base by the scrotum. They are designed to give men more staying power, as they can make an erection last longer and even help men with erectile dysfunction get an erection in the first place. It is also possible to get vibrating cock rings, which are intended to stimulate the woman’s clitoris and vulva at the same time. However, there’s a knack to using this sex toy, as the man needs to be aroused but the penis must not yet be fully hard when putting it on, so it’s vital to catch the right moment with this.
Sex toys for couples
Couples’ vibrators: Couples’ vibrators look a little peculiar. They are gently curved, with a narrow end and a wide end. Whilst the narrow end is designed to be inserted in the vagina, the wider end rests against the clitoris to stimulate it. Wondering how this sex toy is meant to stimulate the man? Well, the man’s penis can also be inserted into the vagina along with the narrow end of the couples’ vibrator – so both of you benefit from the vibrations.
Strap-on vibrators: As the name suggests, strap-on vibrators can be strapped on, offering a variety of options for lesbian couples in particular. Yet there are plenty of heterosexual couples who also like to incorporate strap-on vibrators into their lovemaking. These sex toys can help men with a small penis and those suffering from erectile dysfunction to fully satisfy their partners again at last.
- Anal vibrators: An anal vibrator should be inserted into the anus to specifically stimulate the rectum – in both men and women. They are usually between 4 and 10 cm long and 1 to 6 cm wide. Couples can use anal vibrators to stimulate each other or incorporate them into their sex life in other ways.
- Butt plugs: A butt plug is usually cone-shaped and is designed to be inserted into the anus. It is intended for preparing the anus for anal sex but can also be used on its own to stimulate the anus. Butt plugs come in a range of sizes, but if you’re new to butt plugs it’s best to start with a smaller size. They also come in both vibrating and non-vibrating models.
- Anal beads: Anal beads consist of a string of balls, with the balls getting progressively bigger towards one end. This makes them particularly good for beginners, as the small beads are inserted first, allowing you to slowly get used to the feeling of anal penetration.
Naturally, G-spot vibrators, cock rings and any sex toys made for women are also suitable for couples. You can experiment a little here in a relationship – and when you’re playing solo too, of course. The range of sex toys out there is vast, so there should be something for everyone!